Virgin Voyages, will remove the COVID-19 vaccination requirements for guests as guidance from the CDC

The Virgin Voyages cruise line will soon stop requiring its guests to get vaccinated before sailing on its ships, joining most other cruise lines in doing so.

In a note on its Voyage Well health and safety website, the cruise line said, “In accordance with our industry standards and with consideration and guidance from the CDC, we are adjusting our protocols.”

Valiant Lady will accept unvaccinated guests starting September 18, 2022. Valiant Lady is currently sailing in Europe but will move to Miami in mid-October. From September 21, 2022, the same will apply to guests aboard the Scarlet Lady from Miami.

In order to sail, unvaccinated guests must still show a negative COVID-19 test result. It must be taken within 72 hours of the sailing date, or they can take a test at the cruise terminal for $30.

Virgin Voyages currently sails with 90 percent of its guests vaccinated, leaving 10 percent of each voyage’s capacity open to unvaccinated passengers. However, as it is percentage controlled, unvaccinated guests were not necessarily guaranteed a booking and had to call Virgin Voyages to book.

Opening up all travel to unvaccinated guests with no percentage to meet makes it much easier for unvaccinated travelers to book and know immediately that they have a guaranteed reservation.

In July, Virgin Voyages was the first US cruise line to waive the testing requirement. However, it has reinstated that requirement for unvaccinated guests now that it has opened up all its sailings to them without restrictions.

The vaccination mandate remains in place for Virgin Voyages crew members.